Ubuntu – Upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10 on Samsung NC 10 80% of screen corrupted


I have using various versions of Ubuntu over the 5 years on my Samsung NC10 netbook. This is a triple boot system which has Windows XP (the original operating system) Windows 10 (which was an upgrade from Windows 7 ) and Ubuntu.
apart from an issue with wireless networking not starting properly a few releases ago which has since been fixed without me doing anything everything has worked as expected so I have never needed to delve into the mysteries of terminal and Linux commands.
However the upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10 has not worked as on booting up the system and selecting the Ubuntu option the screen eventually stabilises with about 80% on the left hand side corrupted and the remaining 20% written correctly. I can select the drop down menu for shut down but the pop up menu is obviously displayed in the corrupted bit. So I have to do a hard reset.

Tips please on what to do next.

Best Answer

The same issue happens on Acer Aspire One A110 (ZG5)

  • When system is booting and grub shows up, press "e"

  • Find line with "ro quiet splash" and add nomodeset so it says "ro nomodeset quiet splash".

  • Press CTRL-X to continue booting

Then there are two workarounds:

  1. if you need the new kernel 4.13, you can add "nomodeset" to your kernel options permanently, but this will limit screen resolution to 800x600:

    • $ sudo vi /etc/default/grub
    • Then add "nomodeset" as below:
    • GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash"
    • $ sudo update-grub
  2. if you don't mind running older kernel 4.10 and want full 1024x600 resolution, try this solution Set "older" kernel as default grub entry to set up kernel 4.10 as default (framebuffer works fine in this version, in 1024x600 and without having to use nomodeset)

Related Question