The incorrect driver has been installed for the wireless. Let's fix it:
sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
Now let's load the correct ethernet driver:
sudo modprobe b44
Now that the ethernet is working, install the required firmware for the wireless:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
After a reboot, all should be working as expected.
EXPLANATION: The installation of the driver bcmwl-kernel-source, in your specific case, the wrong driver, blacklists conflicting drivers:
The installation is supposed to determine if you have a Broadcom ethernet device and allow its driver b44 and the crucially blacklisted ssb to load nevertheless. Like most things in Linux or, for that matter, life, it usually goes perfectly and invisibly. Once in a while, it does not.
When it goes perfectly, the blacklist file is longer:
modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install wl ; modprobe --ignore-install b44
That is supposed to allow the otherwise blacklisted ssb to load and bring along b44 allowing the ethernet to work. For some reason it did not install such.
Since you had the incorrect driver all along, it was quick and easy to purge bcmwl-kernel-source which also removes the blacklist-bcm43.conf file altogether. This allowed ssb, b43 (for wireless) and b44 (for ethernet) to load normally. The installation of firmware then gets your wireless working well, too.
I have had the same or similar issue: that the SD-card was not detected.
Side note: The "Unassigned class [00ff]" seems to be part of the name of the device. This article has the same report from the
lspci and the driver/device is reported as working.
The card had been detected earlier (during the same session), but after being removed (once or twice) it was not detected anymore. After a reboot it was detected again, but after a few mounts and unmounts, it did not respond anymore.
After scanning the
/sys/ folder I found that several
uevent files for mmc devices only had write-access, and that was only for the root user. (Scan command:
find /sys -iname \*mmc\* | sed 's#$#/uevent#' | xargs ls -l) The other had read-access for all. So I gave all the mmc
uevent files the same access:
find /sys -iname \*mmc\* | sed s#$#/uevent# | xargs sudo chmod a+r
After this the SD card is detected all the time but it seems that I have to do
lspci or a file browser to help the drivers enumerating/removing the partitions.
I have not found any way for automatic enumeration yet.
EDIT: It now works for me. I have no idea what caused it to work now. Below I have written what I did.
NOTE 1: My normal working environment is Unity with lightdm (gdm is removed).
NOTE 2: I cannot remember if I did reboot my machine between my first version of this answer and the reboots described below. Not I guess.
NOTE 3: This did not work before the reboots described below.
- I rebooted into a Live Ubuntu 18.04 (USB stick). I entered the SD card and it worked.
- (I also rebooted into the BIOS to turn on the network which I believe was turned off before doing the reboot and therefore was not detected after reboot. I cannot remember that I touched any SD card or related settings.)
- I rebooted into Ubuntu with XWayland, lightdm and Gnome Shell. It worked right away.
- I rebooted into Ubuntu with Xorg, lightdm and Gnome Shell. Once again it worked right away.
- I rebooted into Ubuntu with Xorg, lightdm and Unity. It still worked right away.
Possible indirect or direct causes that made it work.
* Most certainly the adding of read access did influence this.
* Maybe some other unknown changes
* The reboot
* And possibly running the Live installation.
My guess is that the first and the third point are the important ones.
working on MSI GE60 I've got a Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5227 working on windows but not in linux mint (based on ubuntu).
ATTENTION / IMPORTANT :
use this method can possibly induce the device to not recognize the card reader after a reboot. I've not understood yet what's going on but the device seems not able to enumerate on pci bus. I fixed that by cold boot on windows (with official driver).
I found some tutorials for rts5209 and tried to adapt them :
I took the sources for RTS5229 from realtek website (PCIE RTS5229 card reader driver for Linux) : no more than 2 links in my message, tutorials seems more important --> google
then I had do do a little more code modification than in the linked tutorials in rtcx.c in order to build without error : comment the declaration of proc_info in the rtsx_host_template initialization line 206.
once I get through this I built the driver and try to go with it, but obviously the link between driver and hardware was not there.
So I took the name of my device and try to modify the code in order to have the right device name. Go in the first lines (55) of rtsx.h and adapt the definition of the device name to your need :
After what I modified the target of the Makefile :
verify that your device is not using rtsx_pci module (lspci -v) if its the case you need to use the Dainaccio way to fix that (near the end of second tutorial).
when your module is correctly loaded a ls /dev should show you a new interface (for me /dev/sdb) :D
In fact that's not really clean.The thing is there should be a lot more understanding of the difference between the 2 card reader version and a lot more understanding of the driver to make that work fine.
The driver is basically functional, you can mount / unmount partition, write and read on the card, insertion and removal is detected. I have not tested the automount. But anyway a lspci -v with the driver working will show you that this solution is not clean : the peripheral class is not recognized so others values I think. By a brief look in the code I also saw many reference hard-coded to rts5229. they could be some work to be done...
anyway, have a nice day !