My laptop was working fine and its load average was between 0.2 – 0.5 (and around 0.02 while doing nothing) until I decide to upgrade it with an SSD.
First I replaced my HDD with SSD, moving HDD into a HDD Caddy, removing the optical drive and putting HDD there instead.
- Both my SSD and HDD are capable of working with SATA III interfaces.
However my HDD is working at SATA 2 mode:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep SATA SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Seems my optical drive interface is SATA 2.
The problem is whenever there is something in HDD Caddy (SSD, HDD, Doesn't matter) load average while doing nothing is around 1.5 – 2 and while system is just booted up is around 4.
What did I done?
- I have tried any combination of setup nothing takes any effects.
- CPU usage is normal and no process is consuming the CPU.
- If I only use one disk as the main hard drive load average is normal.
- If I even use one disk at the optical drive place, I get high load average.