I have tried various tricks I could find to install the global menu on Xfce and LXDE on the latest Oneiric, but nothing worked. Does anyone have an idea on how to do that? Thanks.
Here's what I've tried so far:
- the gnome global menu panel plugin (for lucid) via the xfapplet plugin (not in the official repos anymore) that can embed GNOME plugins into the Xfce panel – unfortunately, the globalmenu doesn't show up in the xfapplet list of available GNOME plugins (there's only one item in it)
- all instructions from an older question about globalmenu and its duplicate
- compiling manually the latest version from gnome2-globalmenu
- there is another question along with a solution for Xfce 4.8, but it's not working on Oneiric. It is also proposing to install the global menu applet from GNOME using it via xfapplet.
- I've even found an Xfce-plugin for the global menu, but it keeps crashing when I add it to the panel – also I could not install all the packages due to some unmet dependencies
- I've added some code to ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc as described in 10. of the FAQ of gnome2-globalmenu, though I'm not sure what effect this should have.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:the-warl0ck-1989/xfce-appmenu-plugin
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xfce4-appmenu-plugin indicator-appmenu appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
Install the missing dependencies. In a terminal :
sudo apt-get install indicator-appmenu appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
Install the app menu : download this deb and open it with the software center
Enable app menu for firefox and thunderbird. In a terminal :
sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk3 firefox-globalmenu thunderbird-globalmenu
Right-click on an empty part of the top XFCE panel and choose Panel > Add New Items > App Menu plugin