I would like to have a directory that has following properties:
- Many users can copy files into it
- These files can be deleted/changed by these users (user A can delete/modify file that was copied into this directory)
it cant be done using normal file permissions (because permissions are retained on copy).
Here is what I found on the net:
Some use cases:
- Sharing music on local machine
- Simple git repository sharing (just make a bare repository writeable to many people) — i know that there are solutions like gitosis
- Allow many developers to modify test instance of php app without giving them root (i guess they would copy files) — I'm leading a team of nonprofit junior developers and I need to keep that one simple!
AFAIK setting SGID bit is not enugh, it only affects newly created files — and basic workflow for these use cases ivnolves copying and other operations (which cleave file's gid unchanged)