Why does Ubuntu not ship with a way to fill in PDF forms? I am not asking how to fill the forms. I am asking why there is not a way to do this in the default installation. It's basically the only thing that Ubuntu cannot do that I need my OS to do.
Ubuntu – Why does Ubuntu not ship with a way to fill in PDF forms
- Ubuntu – ny useful software for filling out pdf-forms other than Adobe Reader
- Ubuntu – How to fill out the forms and save the inputs in this tax report pdf file
- Ubuntu – Create fillable or editable fields in a PDF
- Ubuntu – Why do PDFs with forms create black bars on some pages
- Ubuntu – ny software that can fill XFA forms in Ubuntu
Most likely because there's not an open-source implementation of the entire "new" PDF forms specification, called XFA. Older forms (FDF) are generally supported.
To my knowledge (and I've been working with programmatically filling PDF forms this week), Adobe has the only complete implementation of XFA in existence, and I don't know of any open-source graphical client that handles it. (iText and PDFBox have partial support.)