For the last few days I have been trying to configure a laptop to dual boot. The laptop works works very well booting into both ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Widows 81. without any issue until I install item 1 (I need these updates for Android Development work). The same issue can be duplicated by installing item 2. The blank screen / command line appears after the GRUB menu.
sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl libc6-dev libncurses5-dev:i386 x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 openjdk-6-jdk tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc zlib1g-dev:i386 minicom tftpd uboot-mkimage expect libgl1-mesa-dri sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
Per the follwing post "how do I install intel graphic drivers" It is my understanding that the Intel Graphic drivers are part of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver package.
Note: I have reviewed other posts but doesn't seem to find a solution. Thus this post.
- Toshiba Satellite C55-A5310
- Intel i3-3120M processor
- Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GPU)
- Window 8.1
- Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (uname -r > 3.8.0-35-generic)
Summary of what I have tried so far:
- change quiet Splash to nomodeset.
- sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
- edit grub -> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset", GRUB_GFXMODE=1366×768, update-grub -> stuck at ubuntu splash, (starting CUPS printing spooler/server OK)