I accidentally associated a file type with an application that doesn't work with that particular file type. (There is no application installed on my system that works with the file.) I would like to remove the default application association. I found this Q&A How to remove the default application for opening a file? but it seems like it's not exactly what I want and outdated for Catalina. For instance, there is no ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist on my system. I would like to execute a command that removes the association for the one single file extension, not remove all of the associations for an application as this one appears to suggest. I have been able to dump the database using lsregister but I'm not sure what command could be used to remove one entry.
MacOS – Remove Default Application for File Extension in Catalina
- MacOS – QuickLook file associations
- MacOS – way to limit OS X when searching for apps
- MacOS – How to change the default application for WEBLOC files
- MacOS – default apps for file types listed
- MacOS – Terminal command to remove custom icon from file (HFS+)
- MacOS – How to make a homebrew application the default for opening certain file types
A Catalina-compatible alternative to RCDefaults can be found here:
It provides a preference pane and a command line utility for setting the default app of any file type.