I’m trying to install macOS Sierra on VirtualBox, but can’t seem to make it work. For reference, here are the steps I took.
- Downloaded the Install macOS Sierra app from the App Store.
- Used the inbuilt media creation executable,
CreateInstallMediaon a disk image.
- Created a new VM with the default settings for an OS X El Capitan, plus 128 VRAM.
- Since VirtualBox refused to accept the DMG, I tried splicing out the InstallESD.
- VirtualBox now accepted it, but wouldn’t boot. I tried to boot through rEFInd, but still no luck.
- I tried to patch it both ways (base system and ESD) with iesd. No luck.
- When booting to GParted LiveCD, it flat-out refused to discover any of the installer CDs.
How can I patch the installer to work with VirtualBox? I don’t want to use pre-patched versions of either the installer or an existing installation, as though to avoid piracy.